Beguinage Saint Catherine
On the UNESCO World Heritage List beguinage built in 1554. He took over the role of the house of beguines after beguinageat The Hof van Sion (1240-1542), who existed in the south of Antwerp, outside the city walls. Despite the difficulties that prevailed in the city during the rule of the French, and then the Dutch, at the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th century, the beggines managed to survive. They lived here peacefully in the 20th century. The last inhabiting beginka beguinage was Virginia Laeremans who died in 1986. Today beguinage it is inhabited by the secular inhabitants of Antwerp.
This beautiful corner is an oasis of peace in the center of a crowded city. Crossing the entrance gate, which is an example of late Baroque, we enter a rectangular courtyard surrounded by low, brick houses. The streets are covered with paving stones, which adds charm to this place.
Part of beguinagethere is also the church of St. Catherine, built in 1827. The original temple was demolished in 1799. The entire complex consists of around 40 houses surrounding a courtyard. The figure in the niche of the entrance gate to beguinageu represents the holy Bega. Beguinage it is available to everyone. However, it must be remembered that this is a inhabited place, so keep silence while visiting.
Rodestraat 39, 2000 Antwerpen