The Cistercian Abbey of Notre Dame du Val-Dieu was founded in 1216 by monks from Hocht, near Maastricht. According to legend, this uninhabited valley, in which they settled, was so unfriendly that the local people called it the Valley of the Devil. The monks renamed it Valley of God, in French Val-Dieu. The abbey took the same name. The monastery, which developed in the Middle Ages, had its golden years in the eighteenth century. Val-Dieu was the only abbey to survive the French Revolution. In March 2001, the last three monks moved to another Cistercian abbey. The Christian Community of Val-Dieu, connected with the Cistercian order, works here today. The abbey houses the Val Dieu brewery, a cheese and cider factory.
The beer, cheese and cider made here attract crowds of tourists. The beautiful light show, which takes place every year, has its fans. During this magnificent illumination, on the walls of the abbey, appear a pictures, which describe the eight hundred-year history of this place. After the show, you can buy beer and products made in the abbey.
4880 Aubel Belgium
Performance Mystery De La Crypte:
29 July- 28 August