The International Veteran Congress of the First World War, which took place in Rome in the year 1925, chose Liege as the place where a monumental monument commemorating the cooperation of Allied soldiers and the suffering of peoples during the war 1914-1918 was to be created.
The monument designed by Joseph Smolderen from Antwerp stand on the Cointe hill, in a place visible from every Liege point. This monument consists of a religious part, or Church of the Sacred Heart, whose construction began on 21 June 1925 year, and the civilian part, or 75-meter tower, which began to appear in September 1928 year. The inauguration of the opening took place on 21 July 1937 year.
In the crypt there are monuments of Belgian, French, Romanian and Spanish soldiers, while on the square surrounded by pillars there are Italian, Greek, Polish, English and Russian monuments. Every August 15, on the the Polish Army Day, Polonia fold the flowers at the Polish monument at Cointe Hill.
For decades, this magnificent monument, exposed to heroes, has grown into the Liege skyline, became one of symbols city. However, the passage of time has strained the structures of both buildings. The civil monument was renovated, there was money for it. The church has been closed for years. There are no funds for renovation. There is a danger that this magnificent monument will share the fate of churches that were demolished or desacralized in Liege. Church of St. Antoni, who ceased to be a place of worship in the 1977 year, today serves as a place of vernissages, the church of St. Cross closed for years (apparently, funds have already been accumulated about 20 million dollars for renovation), the church of St. John the Evangelist, closed due to the threat of collapse. Hundreds of years of history that is not remembered.
Recently, information appeared that the temple will be sold. Among the main buyers are the Dutch millionaire Arthur Paes. Admiring how he restored the Le Fy castle in Esneux, one can hope that the magnificent church on Cointe will also be renovated. However, it will no longer serve as a place of worship, but as a socio-economic or economic-cultural object.
The longest tram line in the world
67 kilometers long - 68 stops
143 minutes of travel- 3 millions of travelers
The tram route runs through the entire Belgian coast. It makes it the longest tram line in the world. Along with the stops located further from the beaches, deep into the towns, its length is 67 kilometers. It connects all coastal towns, reaching from Knokke-Heist, located at the Dutch border, up to De Panne, the furthest-fledged Belgian resort next to the French border. The entire route counting 68 stops is covered in 143 minutes. Trams leave from stops every 15 minutes.
The building in De Hann, where the tram stops, was designed in the 1902 year, in style belle époque, by Brussels architect D. Dhaeyer.
Every day, from the route along the beaches, a special tram removes sand deposited by the wind. The tram line has been in existence for more than 130 years. Her first episode was created in 1885 a year and connected Ostend and Nieuwpoort. The first route was shifted inland; some sections of this original connection still exist today. Annually, a tram line along the Belgian coast carries around 3 million passengers. Its creation has greatly contributed to the development of thirteen resorts in ten towns located on the Belgian coast:
Knokke Heist-Zeebrugge-Blankerberge-De Hann-Bredene-Oostende-Middelkerke-Nieuwpoort-Koksijde-De Panne
Father Damien, or rather Jozef de Veuster, is an extraordinary man whose life's work was helping the lepers. He was born on 3 January 1840 year in the Belgian town Tremelo as one of seven siblings. Like his older brother and sister, he joined the convent. He chose the most difficult path to holiness. A path full of sacrifices and risks. The desire to serve the needy led him to the kingdom of Hawaii, and more precisely to the island of Moloka'i, which was a home-place of seclusion- for patients infected with leprosy, then an incurable disease.
He started his mission on 10 may 1873 year coming to the Kalaupapa settlement, inhabited by 600 lepers. Building new homes, schools, churches, and hospitals gave the inhabitants hope. He became their confidant and priest, sometimes a nurse, doctor or gravedigger. His mission, which lasted in 1873-1889, ended his death. In recent years he has been helping, although he was already infected. He died on 15 April 1889 year among friends, calm about the fact that his work would be continued by the Franciscan nuns who came to the island.
His work echoed widely in the world. The sacrifice with which he served the sick was something special. On 4 June 1995 year, father Damian was beatified by the Holy Father John Paul II. 11 October a guide 2009 Pope Benedict XVI proclaimed him a Saint. Grave brother of lepers, how often Damian's father was called, he is in the crypt, under the chapel of St. Antoni, in the Belgian city of Leuven.
In the 1692 year, the citadel was taken by the French. It was then that Sebastian Vauban, a French military engineer and architect at the court of the French King Louis XIV, rebuilt the citadel in Namur, making it one of the most powerful fortresses in Europe. The twilight of the citadel's power came during the First World War, when it took a few days for the Germans to get it. During the Second World War, the fortress was seriously damaged as a result of bombing. A parachute unit was stationed here until the 1977 year.
The citadel built on the 10 hectares has been recognized as the unique heritage of Wallonia. This magnificent building dominates the Port du Grognon, the place where the rivers Meuse and Sambra meet, and where there is a statue of King Albert I on a horse. This king, valued by the Belgians, died while climbing the rock of the Grand Bon Dieu, near Marches-les-Dames on the Meuse River.
During the apparitions, Our Lady always presented herself as the Mother of the Poor and asked her to build a chapel in this place. The Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Poor is a place of pilgrimage of hundreds of thousands of people who come here to confide in the Mother of God with their suffering, pain and desires.
On the walls of the chapel and in several places in the sanctuary there are tables, on which the faithful express, in many languages, thanks to Our Lady for intercession and healing. In the 1949 year, the Vatican recognized the revelations at Banneux. John Paul II ended here his pilgrimage in the Benelux countries, which he held in 1985 year.
In the Banneux Sanctuary there are: the Chapel of the Apparitions, the Chapel of the Mission, the Church of the Virgin of Poor, the Chapel of St. Michael the Archangel, the Way of the Cross, the belfry of Konrad Adenauer and, in the place of the apparitions of the Holy Mother, a wonderful spring. The Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Poor is surrounded by a beautiful landscape park.
95 million Euro construction cost
118 height meters
These two buildings are an example that contemporary architecture, thanks to its beauty, can add glamor to the city. The Guillemans station is already considered the most beautiful, next to the station in Antwerp, in Belgium, maybe this skyscraper will also be awe-inspiring. May it be possible to build such great structures in the future, but without destructionofiarhistorical buildings.
Interestingly, the building is not owned by the Ministry of Finance. It only rents offices from a private investor (Fedimmo Company) for a period of 25 years. After this time, the Ministry will have the right of first refusal. The whole project is the work of the Jasper & Eyers Architecture architectural office in cooperation with Greisch. Paradis Tower is the tallest building in all of Wallonia.
Inland navigation, river port in Liege
Port Liege is not a compact object. It covers an area of 370 hectares, and it comprises 32 port areas scattered along the river Meuse and Albert Canal. Its main advantage is the excellent location in the center of the world's largest navigable network: the Rhine-Schelde-Meuse basin (20 000 km). Thanks to this, it offers easy access to the main ports of Europe:
Port of Antwerp (129 km) through the Albert Canal (immersion 3,40 m) - travel time 14 h.
Port of Roterdam (250 km) through the Julian Canal (immersion 2,80 m) and Meuse - travel time 24 h.
Dunkirk port through the east-west corridor - travel time 48 h.
The recent opening of the Rhine-Main-Danube route enabled vessels to travel through the West European network, making it easier for ship owners to access Eastern Europe.
An additional advantage of the Port of Liege is the proximity of the widely developed road and rail network as well as the eighth largest freight airport in Europe. Port Liege is ideal for loading, unloading and storing a wide range of goods: building materials, ores, bulk goods, chemicals, steel, and recently, thanks to the development of three-modal logistics, also containers.
Annually, the Liege port reloads 60 thousands of containers. Current investments are aimed at achieving the level of 200 thous. containers. One barge transports 106 or 156 containers. The success of river transport contributes to reducing the number of vans on the roads. 16 million tons of goods transported on the barges corresponds to the tonnage transported by 800 thous. vans.
1288-Foundation of the Beguinage of St. Alexius in Dendermonde.
1975-Dies Ernestine de Bruyne, the last beguine of Dendermonde.
These two dates mark the beginning and end of the beguines congregation in this city. They are a clasp linking the eighth centuries of this extremely interesting religious congregation, cultivating the Catholic faith, but completely independent of the Catholic Church.
The beguines lived here, as in other Beguinages, among others from the production of lace, teaching, care for the sick. They vow cleanliness and obedience, but not poverty. About 200 beguines lived in the Beguinage.
1998-Beguinage is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Nowadays, the beguinage is inhabited by the inhabitants of Dendermonde. There are 61 houses here that surround, a small church built in the middle. Despite being included in the UNESCO World Heritage List, the Beguinage is not fully renovated yet. Dendermonde is a small town and due to the lack of resources, renewal is slow. Visiting the city, however, you can not skip this place, a great witness to history. An additional attraction is the unusual museum of the Beguinage.
The Beguinage Museum in Dendermonde
It is located in the house where lived Ernestine de Bruyne, the last beguine of Dendermonde (No. 25 H. Begga). In the same building there is also a museum of folklore. In many rooms, on three floors you can get to know the everyday life of the Dendermonde residents. The building No. 11 (H. Bonifacius) was decorated just like an authentic beguines home. It is extraordinary that this interesting museum can be visited for free. It is worth coming here to learn about the history of the beguines congregation and to visit their home, which was the beguinage.
In addition to the magnificent open-air museum, Bokrijk also offers kilometers of cycle routes situated in beautiful, forested surroundings. One of the main attractions here is the path leading through the middle of the lake. Great experience, when you can be in the middle of the basin and still be dry, admire the surrounding nature from the level of the lake or stay face to face with proud swans swimming here.
In the 1965 year, after 13 years, the construction of a new, magnificent monument was completed. The 84-meters tower, the highest monument of peace in Europe, houses an interesting museum (War, Peace, Flemish emancipation). Many war exhibits, such as weapons or uniforms, were gathered on the 22 floors. Historical photos show the suffering of soldiers and civilians. Visiting the museum begins with entering the top of the building. From its terrace there is a wonderful view of the whole region from Nieuwpoort to Passchendaele, Ypres, Poperinge and Ploegsteert.
Tower located along the Yser River in Diksmuide is decorated with the letters AVV-VVK (All for Flanders-Flanders for Christ), before the entrance there is an inscription No more war. The museum's motto is: What remains of life ?. What remains of the land?.
If you want to go back to the past, I invite you to Bokrijk, a magnificent open-air museum where you can teleport to the years 60 or even earlier, until the 19th century. If you have more than 50 years You will remind yourself of your youth here, and if you are younger, you will find out how your parents and grandparents lived. You will probably experience a shock that they could live without cell phones or Wi-Fi. When you move from the 1960s to the nineteenth century, you will understand how a great technological leap made humanity in the 20th century.
The building in which this magnificent museum is located was designed in the year 1930 by Joseph Vierin.
The museum offers rich collections of works of Belgian artists. What attracts a lot of visitors is undoubtedly the world-famous collection of Flemish primitives, such as: Jan van Eyck, Hans Memling, Hugo van der Goes, or Gerard David.
There are also paintings by Renaissance and Baroque artists, a dozen works from neoclassical times and realism, the most important works of symbolists and modernists, outstanding works of Flemish expressionists such as Permeke, De Smet, Van den Berhge, Brusselmans or Tygat, and a wide selection of modern art (after 1945 year).
They are also the creators of the Renaissance of the North, which is an outstanding version of the Renaissance, which was born on the other side of the Alps, in Italy. Robert Campin is a forerunner of this style in then Netherlands and his most eminent representatives were, among others:
Jan van Eyck as one of the few in those times signed images with his name and motto:
Als ick kann (As I can)
It is believed that this brilliant creator of such works as: The altar of the Mystical Lamb, Portrait of the Arnolfini couple, Madonna Chancellor Rolin whether The Madonna of canon van der Paele, as one of the first European painters of the 15th century, who began to use oil technique in his paintings. It guaranteed the effect of brightness, because oil binders shine more intensely than the matt temer used in the past. In oil technique, the paint is mixed with the oil directly on the pallet, and then applied to the canvas with a brush or putty knife.
In Dutch painting of this period religious themes dominate. The background plays a very important role, filled with vast landscapes, architecture and city views. You can see the extraordinary attention to detail when presenting the interiors of houses, clothes of figures, fabrics, animals. The basic feature of the background is the far-reaching autonomy, spatiality and naturalism of individual elements and characters placed on further planes, even when the background figure is visible in a small fragment.
An epoch in which Art. Nouveau was the dominating style in architecture. Its main features are decorativeness, stylization, asymmetry, which manifested itself, inter alia, in the free distribution of windows, as well as in the location of the gate, which was usually located centrally, on the main axis of the building.
The buildings were given smooth, wavy lines, horseshoe or flattened arches placed above the windows, the balconies were semicircular in shape, the whole was complemented by corrugated cornices, free compositional arrangements, pastel colors, liking for floral motifs, and a significant extension of the range of materials used to make façades.
The buildings that are great examples of belle époque can be found in De Hann a lot. A small tram station, the Grand Hotel Belle Vue, to which often came for a cup of tea Albert Einstein, during his stay in Flanders, after escaping from Nazi Germany, city hall and many private villas or hotels.