After the Universal Exhibition in Paris, in 1900 year, the king Leopold II decided to decorate the park at his estate with buildings characteristic of the architecture of the Far East.
The task of creating the project was given to a French architect Alexander Marcel . First it was made Japanese pagoda . The work was done by the Belgian companies, but the building, with a height of 40 meters, was assembled without nails in accordance with traditional Japanese techniques.
To preserve the authentic style, most of the outdoor and indoor decorations were made in Japan.
Work began in 1901 year. After three years, the pagoda was ready. 6 May 1905 year it was inaugurated. In 1909 year, the king abandoned the idea of creating a museum here, and the building was entrusted The Ministry of Foreign Affairs . Until the First World War it was open to the public. In the year 1922 he was assigned Ministry of Arts and Sciences . In the 1947 year, the building was closed to visitors. The building was closed until 1989 year that it was again made available to a wide audience. Japanese pagoda collected exhibits on Japanese culture and art. A garden in the same style was set up around the building.
Alexander Marcel also designed Chinese pavilion . In the King's assumption, it was to be a luxury restaurant for entrepreneurs who wanted to establish trade relations with China. Construction work began in the 1903 year, but construction was halted after two years. Only in the year 1909 resumed construction of the building. The work was completed in 1913 year. The pavilion owes its exterior appearance to panels imported from Shanghai. In the 1921 year, the leadership of the pavilion was entrusted Royal Museum of Art and History . It has collected a wonderful collection of Chinese porcelain over the years.