Stadhuis (Town Hall) - the facade of the town hall is divided into two contrasting solids. The older part has twisted ornaments, characteristic of ornate Gothic sculptures. This beautiful facade was built by two of the best architects of his time, Rombout Keldermans and Dominik de Wagemaker.
The construction of the town hall began in 1518 year. However, only 1/4 plans were implemented. Work was stopped in 1537 during the Ghent revolt. The left side is very harsh in appearance and is an example of the Italian Renaissance architecture, characterized by frugal ornaments in the form of Corinthian columns or pilasters. This is the newest and largest wing of the town hall created in the period 1595-1618.
From the rooms available to visitors the most interesting is the old courtroom, Pacificatiezaal, where the Gandawska Pacification was signed (1576), a treaty that for some time united North and South Flanders against the Habsburgs. A wedding chapel is also worth seeing. It is an example of late Gothic architecture, and Arsenal Hall with a beautiful wooden vault. These rooms can only be visited with a guide.